Spirited Trackmen Stomp B.U., 77-59

Distance Runners Excel

By Nell Scovell

Outstanding performances in the distance events coupled with several unexpected but welcomed placings paced an enthusiastic Harvard indoor track team over a vastly-improved B.U. squad, 77-59, in the season opener at the ITT last night.

Harvard got off to a slow start and B.U. looked threatening until the 880, when the Crimson registered some decisive victories.

John Chafee, with the help of pacesetting Keith Salkowski, won the 880 in 1:53.3, while his injured but determined teammate Scott "The Beast" Dolson placed third at 1:55.81 to start the ball rolling.

The Crimson came on extremely strong in the 1000 as John Murphy and Thad McNulty finished one-two with times of 2:14.21 and 2:14.71, respectively.

Murphy, the team's high-scorer, also won the mile in 4:11.3 despite a stone bruise he received while running in the cross country nationals in Wisconsin. "Everything went right tonight," said Murphy. "I have a kick and I got a chance to use it," he added.

Ed Sheehan, Peter Fitzsimmons, and Mark Meyer left one B.U. student trailing very far behind as they swept the two mile with times of 8:58.2, 9:02.29 and 9:03.1.

While Harvard lost the mile relay, the two mile foursome of Tim Sellers, McNulty, Salkowski and Chafee at anchor roared back to win the final event of the meet in 7:56.86.

In the field events, Harvard was steady, showing moments of brilliance in the 35-lb weight throw and in the high jump.

Harvard swept the high jump with Mark Goethe and Stiles tying for first at 6-ft., 6-in. (a personal best for Stiles, who also won the pole vault), and Mike Young took third at the same height.

Colin Ball presented coach Bill McCurdy with a pleasant surprise by hurling the 35-lb, weight 54-ft. 8-in. for a victory, while teammate Tom Lenz followed right behind in the standings with a throw of 53-ft. 2 1/2 in.

B.U.'s Opoku Adu, "the Bush Kangaroo" from Nigeria, dominated the long and triple jump, leaping 23-ft. 12-in. in the former and 49-ft. 3 1/4 in. in the latter. Harvard freshman Bennett Midlo looked strong as he notched second in the long jump. Unfortunately, Midlo might have pulled a hamstring in the 60-yd. dash, an event which an emotional Joe Salvo captured for Harvard in 6.49.