Elitism vs. Excellence

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I like Michael A. Calabrese's style, and I share his dislike of elitism ("A Living Memorial to JFK?"). But he may be overlooking a few things about the Kennedy School of Government.

For example, the real inaugural ball for the new building was held a week before the dedication. This blow-out featured almost 400 students, faculty and staff members rocking out to great music and enjoying student DJs, light shows, a hand-held camera to transport dancing bodies to the Forum's giant TV screen, movies and cartoons, free beer and soft drinks, a bubble machine, and so forth. It certainly wasn't "elitist," although we couldn't invite the whole University to join us.

Parties and speeches and fat cats get publicity, but I hope they don't give Mr. Calabrese or others the wrong idea about this School. We are trying to solve public problems over here. That's what we're doing with our lives. If we wanted money or power, we'd be in another profession.

We try to teach our students economics and statistics and ethics and systems analysis and organization theory and management--plus a substantive specialty like arms control or international development or energy. That's a lot of stuff, and they's why we have to be so selective in choosing our students and professors. But that's not elitism in the sense Mr. Calabrese and I would worry about. That's excellence. That's what important public issues require. Robert E. Klitgaard   Associate Professor of Public Policy