War Games

News Shorts

By Helen V. Scovell

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) will probably grant official recognition today to an organization devoted to playing strategic war games, Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said last week.

The purpose of the Society of Conflict Simulation, formed last year, is "to promote the better appreciation of military and diplomatic history through the use of simulation techniques," said David A. Jodice, the group's Faculty adviser and Ph.D. candidate in the department of Government.

At first Epps hesitated to take the proposal seriously, but later he "came to understand the worthwhileness of the games to people interested in military history."

Sydney Ontai '81, president of the society, plans to set up war game tournaments with other schools as well as invite lectures on military history and strategy once the society has CHUL's approval to use Harvard's names and facilities.

Not all members, however, are interested in improving their knowledge of history. "We're a group of people who like to play games," David Bush '79, society treasurer, said last week.