J.V. Crushes Frosh 21-0 To Win Bragging Rights

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

In Harvard football's annual exercise in fratricide, the junior varsity defeated the injury-depleted freshman squad, 21-0, yesterday at Soldiers Field.

The freshmen, suffering from an emotional letdown after their big win over Brown Saturday, were thoroughly out-classed by the bigger and more experienced J.V. gridders.

J.V. quarterback Jim Keyte kept his team in control for most of the game, forcing the freshmen defenders to play many exhausting minutes beyond their normal day's work.

Keyte opened the scoring early in the second quarter when he bootlegged around right end from 11-yds. out, decked two defenders out of position and hit paydirt for a 7-0 J.V. lead.

In the second quarter, frosh halfback Matt Aney sprained his ankle to weaken further an offensive backfield already wracked by injuries. Quarterback Ron Cuccia is expected to return from his partially separated shoulder injury in time for the Yale game on November 17, but halfback Jim Acheson is definitely lost for the season with a dislocated knee.

Early in the third quarter, Keyte took the J.V. down the field again and scored from six yards out on a play similar to his first scoring plunge.

The frosh offense still could not get untracked in the second half, forcing the defense to stay on the field most of the time. Yet the young defenders did not yield, holding the J.V. offense scoreless in the fourth quarter.

The game's final score came late in the game when J.V. cornerback Dave Bindelglass picked off a Jon Ealy aerial and ran it back 40 yards for a touchdown. Brad Lown added his third extra point and the J.V. had their 21-0 victory.