Members of RUS Vote to Endorse Boycott of Nestle

The Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) voted unanimously last night to endorse recent student efforts encouraging the University to boycott all products manufactured by Nestle Corporation.

"Harvard is supporting a system which is preying on women," Noreen F. Ferrante '80, newly elected representative from RUS to the Radcliffe Board of Trustees, said yesterday.

The rest of the meeting focused on approval of RUS's $11,300 budget. "Radical changes in the organization of the budget are being made this year," Susan H. Goldstein '80, treasurer of RUS, said last night.

The original budget proposed by the executive committee increases expenditure by $1000 on special events while substantially decreasing money spent on loans and grants to both organizations and individuals. "The proposed changes reflect the new emphasis of RUS; one of more heavily supporting those activities which affect more women," Jennifer R. Levin '80, president of RUS, said yesterday.

However, Susanna Rodell '80, a member of RUS, said RUS should not forget the importance of individual grants. "Special events can be more human energy intensive than capital intensive," she said.

The final budget accepted by the body included a $500 increase in money allocated to special events. The additional $500 will be used to increase the budget for individual loans and grants. "Putting the whole $100 into special events would have really been taking a stand," Sarah Fletcher, another RUS delegate said. She added, "the $500 compromise means no decision."

As a result of a letter inviting all women in the freshman class, South and Kirkland Houses to actively participate in RUS, the organization filled four more of the ten vacancies in its legislature.