Stickwomen Shut Out by Penn

PENNSYLVANIA 2, HARVARD 0

By Helen V. Scovell

The aggressive Penn field hockey team rubbed salt into the wounds of the Harvard squad, still suffering from Friday's 2-1 loss to Cornell, by winning last night's contest at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, 2-0.

Close But No Cigar

The Crimson stickwomen racked up six shots-on-goal, only one short of Penn's seven, but could not convert to get on the scoreboard.

It was only the second time all season the Crimson offense failed to score. The other shutout came in the season opener.

Penn's first goal came at 11:12 in the first half when the right wing relayed a corner pass to the right inner, who knocked in the goal off the left goalpost.

Penn scored again at 4:54 in the final half when a Quaker inner scooped up the ball from the edge of the circle and slammed it into the Crimson net to end the game's scoring.

Came Out Flat

"We came out playing flat," Harvard coach Debi Field said last night. "We mistakes, and they were really psyched." The unfamiliar astroturf surface and lights of Franklin Field added to the Crimson's woes, Field added.

In addition to losing last night's game, the Crimson squad also lost sophomore Annie Velie for an undetermined period after she sprained her ankle in the second half.

Last night marked the end of Penn's season, as the Quakers finished with an overall record of 6-5-3.

With one game left to play, Harvard's record stands at 8-4 with the losses coming against UNH, Dartmouth, Cornell and Penn.

While the loss to Penn was disheartening, the real disappointment came last Friday when the sixth-seeded Crimson squad was ousted from the Eastern Championships by the Big Red of Cornell, ending all possibility of travel to the nationals.

The stickwomen, however, should pick up in time for "The Game" against Yale on Friday Nov. 17 at Harvard.