English Dept. May Offer Brustein a Teaching Post

By Susan C. Faludi

The English Department voted Tuesday to offer Robert S. Brustein, dean of the Yale School of Drama, a post in the department if he is appointed director of the Loeb next year, David Perkins '51, chairman of the English Department, said yesterday.

Perkins would not release the exact vote. He said the discussion preceding the vote was "long and animated."

Brustein made a proposal to Harvard administrators three weeks ago to bring the Yale Repertory Theater to the Loeb and direct an undergraduate drama program starting next year when his contract runs out at Yale.

Harvard administrators agreed to reach a decision this week on Brustein's proposal. However, Brustein said yesterday he did not expect the Harvard administration to come to a final decision "for some time."

Perkins said he voted in favor of inviting Brustein to join the department. "He (Brustein) is distinguished in the academic world and a good critic," he added.

Robert J. Kiely, professor of English, said yesterday he also supported the resolution. He added that Brustein has done a "very intelligent, thoughtful and creative job at Yale."

Kiely said he saw "no contradictions" in bringing professional drama instructors to Harvard.

"We need all the professional people we can get," he said, adding that he hoped Brustein would not "leave undergraduates out of the picture."

Robert H. Chapman, director of the Loeb and professor of English, currently teaches English 160A "Modern Drama," which is similar to a modern drama course Brustein proposed as part of his undergraduate program.

However, duplication often occurs within the department, Kiely said, pointing to parallel courses on the nineteenth century novel and Romantic poetry as examples.

Morton W. Bloomfield, Porter Professor of English, said yesterday he voted to invite Brustein to join the department, but added he was "not necessarily in favor of Brustein coming to the Loeb."

Although the English Department will offer Brustein a post, Bloomfield said Brustein "might not find enough time" to teach a departmental course.

Alan B. Williamson, Briggs-Copeland Lecturer on English, said yesterday he also supported offering Brustein a post and had a "very favorable impression" of him.

Commenting on Brustein's statement last week that he would "lean towards" setting up practice and performance courses for credit at Harvard, Williamson said he was not "absolutely opposed in all circumstances to technical courses" in drama. Williamson said the courses would have to be coordinated with "literary aspects.