Paced by Holpuch, Women Win, 67-58: Streak Now Three

The Harvard women's basketball team extended its winning streak to three games last night, with a 67-58 victory over Sringfield on the road.

Elaine Holpuch led all Crimson scorers with 22 points, while Caryn Curry complemented the center's effort by hauling in 10 rebounds. Hildy Meyers added 16 points in her best performance this season.

The 3-3 hoopsters played consistent basketball throughout the game and the outcome was never really in doubt from the start. The Crimson five led by as much as 44-31 in the first half, and Springfield never came closer than seven points in the second half.

Lisa Bernstein and freshman Kim Belshe replaced Wendy Carle and Dorris Woolery at the forward spots after both fouled out near the end of the game. Bernstein and Belshe clicked immediately to maintain Harvard's lead.

Last night's balanced scoring and crisp passing marked a definite improvement from the cagers' sloppy play earlier in the season. Rebounding remains a problem, however, as the hoopsters have had slim pickings under the boards.

The quintet hopes to continue their winning streak against East Connecticut State on Friday at the IAB in a 7:30 tip-off.

In the junior varsity match, Springfield crushed the cagers, 63-39.