Classics Tie Series With J.V. Fight Second-Half Comeback

The Harvard Classics avenged the only loss of their 9-1 season by whipping the Crimson junior varsity 88-81 last night in an exciting prelude to the varsity game against Wagner.

Although the J.V. took an early lead and dominated the boards throughout most of the game, they couldn't handle the Classics' aggressive style of play.

The J.V. built up a substantial 10-point lead in the early minutes of the game with crisp passing, accurate shooting and an effective defense. A pass from Classics star Kevin McLaughlin to teammate Frank Konstantynowicz on a fast break began a Classics surge, however.

With the Classics down by three, 28-25, J.V. hoopster Stan Martin was called for a pushing foul. McLaughlin scored on the three-point play to tie it, 28-28, putting the Classics in the driver's seat, as they went on to lead the game at half time, 48-40.

In the second half, the J.V. came out strong, scoring a quick seven points to the Classics' two and closing the game to within three. But the Classics could not forget their earlier 73-67 loss and two quick baskets put them back in command.

Down by as many as thirteen points, the J.V. fought back to tie the game once again, 69-69. The lead see-sawed back and forth until the Classics, ahead 82-81 and in possession of the ball, called a time-out with 47 seconds left.

While trying to run out the clock, McLaughlin drew an offensive foul, sunk both foul shots and put the Classics up, 84-81, and the game out of reach.

Coach John Harvey, pleased with his team's performance, said the victory "shows a mark of character. We lost the lead from the first half, but still fought off their comeback."

"Referees were a factor in this game," Harvey said. "The exaggerated calls hurt both teams, maybe the J.V. even more."