Women's Tourney On Despite Snow; Trackmen Run Today if Cadets Show

By Daniel Gil

If you can find some cross-country skis and traverse the Charles today, there will be track and swimming at the new athletic complex.

The men's indoor track team is going ahead with its scheduled meet with Army at 12:30, if enough officials in the Cambridge area can be dug up, and if the Army brings some runners into Logan Airport on its next convoy of C-130 transports.

Tonight at 7 the oft-delayed Women's Ivy League Swimming and Diving Championships begin in the spanking new Blodgett Pool. There will be finals in the 1650-yard freestyle and the 400-yd. freestyle relay.

Get Here Somehow

The meet will continue Sunday and Monday with heats and semifinals at 10 a.m., finals at 6 p.m., and diving prelims at 1 p.m. both days. Cornell and Barnard dropped out of the meet, but the remaining teams plan to arrive tomorrow by buses, trains and dog sleds.

The Crimson swimmers face an uphill battle against Princeton and Yale, who boast swimmers with top-five Ivy League times in several events. Yale's Helen and Carolyn Hyde and Princeton's Beth Mauer, Mary Sykes and Nancy Conroy are swimmers to watch.

Harvard's best chances will come in the freestyle events with Liz Kelly leading the way, and in the 100- and 200-yd. backstroke behind the efforts of Laurie Downey. Kelly and Downey should also perform well in the 400- and 100-yd. individual medleys, respectively.

The Crimson should also be around the top three in the five relays. The team is hurt by the loss of Maura Costin, due to a recurrence of her shoulder problems, and the beginning of a flu epidemic that has weakened several swimmers.

Waits Don't Hurt

But Coach Stephanie Walsh does not feel the uncertainties in the start of the meet has hurt the team. She said yesterday, "The wait is bugging them but I don't think it will hurt them in the meet."

The companion Women's Ivy League Basketball Tournament is now planned for Sunday (9 a.m., 11 a.m., 6:30 p.m., and 8:30 p.m.) and Monday (9 a.m., 11 a.m., 3 p.m., and 5 p.m.). All games will be played at the IAB.

In other weekend events, much of the suspense will be created by travel arrangements for various Crimson teams heading south.

The wrestlers have a dual meet with Princeton and Penn scheduled this afternoon at Yale. How does that sound for repair of a badly damaged schedule?

Finally, reports have filtered back from Hanover that some members of the ski teams have successfully run the line of "smokeys" blocking the route between Harvard and Dartmouth, so a makeshift team will compete at the Winter Carnival.