Grapplers on Top

Matmen Sweep Doubleheader

The Harvard varsity wrestling team lifted its record above the .500 mark by defeating both Lowell University and Washington and Lee last night at the IAB.

The Crimson's record now stands at 7-6 thanks to some fine performances throughout the lineup. The Harvard matmen outmaneuvered the Generals from Washington and Lee, 28-12, and trounced the Chiefs from Lowell, 41-3.

Harvard bulldozed to a 29-0 lead before the hapless Chiefs managed to get on the scoreboard. After assuming a 13-point lead in the Washington and Lee match, the Crimson grapplers never allowed the Generals to get any closer than within ten points.

Harvard Coach Johnny Lee was unsure of his lineup going into the final matches against the Generals, but when the Crimson's Keith Oberg reversed Ray Gross in the final seconds of the 142-lb. bout, "the hay was in the barn." Lee summoned Jon Franklin to appear at 167-lbs. and the Harvard grappler responded with a pin in the final second of the bout to notch his second victory of the evening.

Four other Crimson matmen picked up two wins apiece last night. Freshman Rick Kief won two decisions: one, 6-4, from Lowell's Frank Lopilato and the other, 5-1, to top Washington and Lee's Howard Knipp in the 126-lb. division.

134-lb grappler Bill Mulvihill picked up one victory by forfeit and earned his second win by defeating Mike Monaghan, 7-2, in the Washington and Lee match.

Keith Oberg recorded victories in both of his matches, as did his heavyweight teammate Craig Beling. Beling had his first opponent, Dave Gagnon, in trouble from the outset of the bout and disposed of him at 3:50 in the match. The Generals' heavyweight, Wayne Mowry, lost 4-1, to the steadily improving Crimson heavyweight.

Quickie

In the fastest match of the night, Sal D'Agostino pinned his 190-lb. counterpart from Lowell before either wrestler worked up a sweat. D'Agostino raised his record to 10-2 by taking down the Chiefs' Bob Milliard into a pinning combination and flattening Milliard's shoulders in 40 seconds.

Co-captains Jim Corcoran and Tom Bixby each added one more win to their season totals by recording major decisions in the 150 and 158-lb. classes. Bixby chalked up his eighth win of the season by downing opposing General Jim Flippen, 10-1. Lowell's 158-lb. grappler, Bill Rawnsley, bowed to Corcoran, 10-2.

Burned

Doug Mason gave Bixby a breather by stepping in at 150-lbs. against Lowell's Steve Rich. Mason proved to be more than Rich could handle as The Harvard grappler sent Rich back to the bench in 4:25 with matburns on his shoulders.

This Saturday the grapplers travel to Southern Connecticut University for a quadrangular meet with Army, Mass Maritime and Southern Connecticut. "This Saturday is the whole season," said Coach Lee last night. "If we win there, it will be a good year."