Women's Weekend Has Ups And Downs

Crimson Fencers Draw Green Blood

By Stephen A. Herzenberg

A combination of flu and Harvard plagued the Dartmouth fencing teams Saturday morning at the IAB and sent their men and women back to Hanover with 18-9 and 10-6 defeats, respectively, at the hands of the Crimson.

Sabreman Robert Homer, foilsman Eric Mandelbaum and epeeman Bob Tillman led the Harvard men as they each won three bouts while losing name.

Tillman adapted well to the styles of his opponents, beating his first two foes who preferred fencing at arms distance by making quick running lungers at the torso and out-dueling his final, more versatile enemy, with cautions attacks.

Cathy Lowry spearheaded the Crimson women leading them back from a 1-3 opening round by capturing all four of her bouts, and allowing only eight touches against herself in the process. Lowry seemed to have regained her confidence after a tentative midweek performance against MIT, and fenced aggressively using a combination of her strength and agility to ease past her opponents.

Lowry's teammates, captain Nancy Cooper and Debbie Sze, helped secure the victory over Dartmouth as they each took three of their four bouts.