Elis Travel by Harvard Women, 61-44

Yale's Liebowitz Scores 27

By Jerome L. Rappaport

In a game that matched the two deadlocked second-place teams in the Ivy League, Harvard's women cagers lost a well-played contest last night to an aggressive Yale squad, 61-44.

Both teams showed unusual tension at the outset. Shots went awry, missing the backboard, and turnovers annoyingly stalled play. Harvard continually lost sight of Yale's center, Barb Liebowitz, who drove straight up the lane for unmolested lay-ups. Fortunately, Crimson center Lesley Greis and forward Wendy Carles were as productive at the other end, displaying a deft touch from the outside.

Nevertheless, Liebowitz overwhelmed the Crimson hoopsters with 17 points, and the Crimson dejectedly left the court at half time trailing the Elis, 25-17.

Harvard came out raging in the second half, as Coach Kleinfelder's inspired five played the stingy "D" and pulled within two points of Yale, 25-23.

Yale calmly rebuffed the Crimson's comeback, as they continually victimized the overzealous Harvard defense. Liebowitz and her teammates smartly sidestepped the dives of the frustrated, clawing Crimson defense and proceeded to the basket unmolested to score two points for the Elis. The game then became an exercise in restraint, as Harvard began to find itself in foul trouble.

Behind by 12 points halfway through the second half, the Crimson decided to display its version of the Boston Celtics' infamous running game. Wendy Carle hauled down the rebounds (she had ten for the contest), and rifled outlet passes to the streaking Caryn Curry and Lesley Greis, who finished off the textbook movements with lay-ups.

Unfortunately, Yale was not prepared to lose the game and their grip on second place. The cue went to Barb Liebowitz of Yale who re-enacted her previous feats, scoring ten more points for the Elis.