Group Recommends Choral Director

By Raymond C. Bertolino jr. and Susan D. Chira

Jameson M. Marvin, lecturer in music at Vassar College, has received the recommendations of the student search committee and the Music Department for the post of director of Choral Activities at Harvard, sources in the choral groups and at Vassar said yesterday.

Marvin last night confirmed his acceptance of the offer, and added that he sent a formal acceptance letter to Harvard on Tuesday.

"I'm delighted about the offer, and I am really looking forward to the position," Marvin said. He added he is "extremely impressed with the students in the choral groups."

If the Corporation approves Marvin's appointment, he will replace F. John Adams '66, lecturer on Music, who was denied tenure in a controversial decision last year. Marvin would also fill the post of Senior Lecturer in Music.

Luise Vosgerchian, chairman of the Music Department, said yesterday the new director, when named, would devote four-fifths of his time to the choral groups and one-fifth of his time to the Music Department. She would not confirm Marvin's appointment, however.

Vosgerchian said the new post is not a tenured position, and the new director may be dismissed with a year's notice if any serious problems arise.

Members of the search committee last night declined to confirm Marvin's recommendation. They have, however, informed students in the choral groups of the recommendation, a member of the group said last night.

Marvin could not be reached for comment last night.

Students in the choral groups at Vassar yesterday praised Marvin highly. "He's fabulous--he really loves music and he is really inspiring, emphatic, and dramatic," Pari J. Forood, a sophomore at Vassar, said yesterday.

Another student added, "We don't want to see him leave, but it's good he's going to Harvard."

Marvin, who conducts the Vassar choral groups, received his B.A. from the University of California at Santa Barbara, his M.A. from Stanford University, and his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana, a spokesman for the Vassar College Choir said yesterday