Crimson Fencers Bloodied by Tigers, 18-9

By Stephen A. Herzenberg

Foil fencer Gene Vastola asked the director for time, took hold of the end of his blade and began to bend it to the desired shape; the blade broke. That episode typified Harvard's experiences Saturday as Princeton turned a fencing match that was supposed to be close into an 18-9 shellacking.

The Crimson fell behind the Tigers early, trailing 6-3 after the first round of bouts, and only once looked capable of catching Princeton. When the score went to 7-3, sabre fencer Richard Gillette edged Princeton co-captain Steve Adler, 5-4, shook his fist and marched back to his teammates with a look of intense determination.

The entire Harvard team seemed to soak up Gillette's adrenalin and captain John Chipman next went on the strip, beating Dan Anthony, 5-4 by catching him with a running lunge and touching him just before he went off the edge of the strip.

Although foil fencer Eric Mandelbaum lost the next bout, fellow foil fencer Dave McClees, 2-1 on the day, made the score, 8-6 by taking the last three touches in a 5-3 decision.

During McClees' victory epee fencer Russ Kaphan battled in a marathon match with Princeton's Glenn Gwozdz. Gwozdz eventually won the duel, after being tied with Kaphan at 4-4 for almost five minutes, withdrawing his blade from a tie-up with Kaphan's and touching him in the stomach.

Kaphan's loss seemed to deflate the Crimson completely as they lamely lost the next five matches to seal their fate.

Particularly disturbing in the Crimson loss was the performance of the inexperienced epee team, which went 1-8 despite fighting an equally inexperienced Princeton trio.