Fires, Bomb Scare Disturb B.U. Calm 15 Firemen Treated

Two fires and a bomb scare ripped through the midnight calm of the Boston University campus Sunday night.

A major fire broke out in a storage room in Boston University's chemistry department, severely damaging the third and fourth floors of B.U.'s Stone Science Building.

Fifteen firemen were taken to two local hospitals after exposure to chemical fumes and released, Capt. John J. Collins, fire department spokesman, said yesterday.

The fire broke out about midnight, about 30 minutes after a smaller blaze which devastated the basement annex of B.U.'s Mugar Library. During the science building fire, a B.U. dormitory on Commonwealth Ave. received a bomb threat.

Fire officials were concerned about the fire's possible effect on radioactive cobalt in the science building's basement, but Collins said the firemen were not exposed to radiation.

The cause of both fires is unknown, although arson has not been ruled out. The fire department's arson squad was present at the blaze, which was brought under control by 2:30 a.m.

The Boston University police declined to comment on the bomb threat or the possible connection between the three incidents