Constitutional Convention Resolves Representation

By J.wyatt Emmerich

The Harvard-Radcliffe Constitutional Convention last night decided how students will choose representatives for the new student government it hopes to create.

In addition, the convention passed a resolution stating that the group will not discuss "the internal structure, the reform of, or the abolition of, any existing University organization."

The freshmen will be divided into geographical districts--the north, south, east and west Yard and the Union dormitories. Freshmen will elect their representatives at large within these districts.

80 Delegates

The proposed student government will have about 80 delegates--one representative per 75 students, although any student who wishes will be able to come to the meetings and speak if recognized by the chairman of the body.

The convention also debated whether or not the constitution should reserve special seats in the student government for representatives of ethnic and minority groups, but the convention members postponed the question until their next meeting.

Jim Shpall '79, vice chairman of the convention, said members of the group should urge various professors to offer financial assistance to the convention. "This will also help us gain support on the Faculty Council that night be needed for ratification," Shpall said.

Michael A. Calabrese '79, chairman of the convention and a Crimson editor, appointed a writing committee to begin drafting a constitution for the new government. At the next meeting, the convention will consider the internal structure of the proposed student government.