B.C. Tops Providence, 4-2, in ECACs

B.U. Beats Brown in Consolation

The packed house in the Boston Garden went wild Saturday night as the Boston College Eagles defeated Providence, 4-2, to win the ECAC Division I title.

Eagle winger Joe Mullen, who received the tournament's Most Valuable Player honors for his efforts, paced B.C. with two goals, as netminder Paul Skidmore provided the defensive support with 24 saves.

Brian Burns opened the scoring for B.C. at 2:34 of the first period. Although the Eagles continued to dominate play throughout the stanza, the Friars' Paul Stasiuk notched the only other goal at 7:16.

B.C. continued to control the puck in the second period, and Providence could not keep up the pace. Mullen found the net twice, while teammate Skidmore shut out the Friars.

Mullen's first tally ended a scramble around the Providence net to make it 2-1, B.C., at 4:52. Eight minutes later, while the Eagles were short-handed, he stole the puck in his own zone to go one-on-one with Providence goalie Bill Milner.

If at First...

Mullen's first try was wide, but his second found the mark, and B.C. led, 3-1.

Providence came back on a power-play goal at 13:58 of the third period while Eagle Charlie Antetomaso was spending five minutes in the penalty box for drawing blood, but B.C. held on, 3-2.

B.C. wrapped up the game and the championship on an empty-net goal by Skip House with less than 30 seconds left in the contest. The win guarantees the Eagles a place in the NCAA tournament, March 23-25, in Providence.

In the consolation match, Boston University upped its season record to 27-2 with an 8-4 victory over Brown. Freshman Mark Fidler contributed a hat trick for the Terriers.

B.U. came out of the lackadaisical first period ahead, 2-1, on scores by Jack O'Callahan and Fidler. Tallies by Bruins Rich Scully and Rich Hall put Brown on top, 3-2, in the second, but it was not to be.

Fidler tied it with his second of the night, and John Bethel put the Terriers ahead, 4-3. Steve DiCarlo evened it up once more for Brown at 15:16, but two minutes later Fidler notched his third to put B.U. in front for good.

The third period was all B.U., as Matt Marden, Dick Lamby and Tony Meagher each scored for the Terriers.