So You Think Hourlies Are Tough?

Try minutelies. You won't have to write essays, but you will have to know the material. And it only takes a minute.

Math 1b, 'Introduction to the Calculus'

Who was Ludolph van Ceuleu?

The Dutch mathematician Ludolph van Ceulen is chiefly known for his computations of the value of pi, which he carried to 35 decimal places. This value was inscribed on his tombstone.

Anthro 184, 'Geography of the Tropics'

How big is Brazil?

About three-sevenths of South America is covered by Brazil, which borders every South American state except Chile and Ecuador as it extends 2965 miles north-south, and 2691 miles in an east-west direction.

Who discovered Brazil?

The Portugese explorer Pedro Alvarez Cabral discovered Brazil in 1500.

How many islands make up the Philippines?

The Philippines are an archipelago of approximately 7083 islands situated about 500 miles off the Southeast coast of Asia. Y' Ami, the northernmost island, is 65 miles from Taiwan. Saluag, the southernmost island, is 30 miles east of Borneo.

What is the capital of Afghanistan?

Kabul, the largest city and capital of Afghanistan, is situated in and outside a triangular gorge between two towering mountain ranges, the Asmai, and the Sherdarwaza. The ranges, which run in a southeast and northwest direction, nearly meet just west of the old town and leave a narrow passage traversed by the Kabul River and local roads.

Where is the Atacama Desert?

The Atacama Desert in North Chile is approximately 400 miles long and has an elevation of 7000 to 13,500 feet.

Where is the Yenisel River?

The Yenisel River originates in the Tannu Ola Mountains of western Mongolia and runs approximately 2800 miles until reaching its point of outflow into the Arctic Ocean.

Where is "Monumental Mountain"?

Wyandotte Cave, located in southern Indiana's Crawford County, is a limestone cavern with five levels of passage. Its "Monumental Mountain," which is about 135 feet high, is believed to be one of the world's largest underground "mountains."

Where is the Susquehanna River?

The Susquehanna River runs a 444-mile course from its point of origin at Otsego Lake in New York to Maryland's Chesapeake Bay.

How big is the Vatican City?

The independent Vatican City State in Italy occupies an area that is approximately 0.17 square miles.

How high is Mauna Kea?

Mauna Kea, Hawaii's highest peak, rises to a height of 13,796 feet.

How big is Iceland?

The volcanic island of Iceland is roughly the size of Kentucky. Snowfields and glaciers cover more than 13 per cent of the area.

Bio 11, 'Plant Physiology'

What is the state flower of Georgia?

The state flower of Georgia is the Cherokee rose.

How many species of juniper trees are there?

There are about 40 species of juniper trees which are native to cold and temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere.

What is the state flower of Nevada?

The state flower of Nevada is the sagebrush.

Music 1, 'A Survey of Western Music'

Who won the Pulitzer Prize for "Secular Cantata"?

Composer William Schuman received the Pulitzer Prize in Music in 1943 for his work, "Secular Cantata No. 2, A Free Song."

Who was Ethel Leginska?

Ethel Leginska became the first woman conductor-composer to write an opera and conduct it in a major opera house when her opera "Gale" was presented on November 23, 1935, by the Chicago City Opera Company.

Hum 45, 'French Literature and Thought'

Where is the jig from?

The lively dance known as the jig has historically been derived from or connected with such words as the French Gigue, the Italian Giga and the German Geige, or fiddle.

Where is the "tribe of superior men"?

Illinois' name originates from an Indian word and French suffix which means "tribe of superior men."

Soc Sci 3b, 'The Central Themes of American History'

Who made the first fire engine?

Joseph Jenks, a Lynn, Mass. ironmaker, made the first fire engine in the United States in 1654. It consisted of a pump worked by relays of men at the handles and received its water supply from lines of bucket passers who dumped the water into the cistern.

When was St. Louis incorporated?

St. Louis, Mo., was incorporated as a city in 1823.

What was the "typical American city" in 1957?

In 1957, Kalamazoo, Mich., was selected as the typical American city by the United States Information Agency, and life in that city was depicted in exhibits displayed in Great Britain and Germany.

Where are milch goats shown?

The first show of milch goats was held at Exhibition Park, Rochester, N.Y., in September 1913 in conjunction with the sixth annual Rochester Industrial Exposition.

Who invented the dental drill?

In 1790, John Greenwood of New York City invented the first dental drill, adapted from the spinning wheel and powered by a foot treadle.

Who invented the detached collar?

Hannah Lord Montague made the first detached collar in 1825 in Troy, N.Y., after she became tired of washing her husband's shirts just because the collar was dirty. With a scissors, she snipped off the collar and the result was a new look in menswear of the day.