Curry Elected Hoop Captain, Will Unite Women in '78-'79

Sophomore guard Caryn Curry, who led the Harvard women's basketball team in rebounds and assists this season, was elected last week by her varsity teammates to captain the 1978-79 squad.

Curry, the team's second leading scorer with a total of 250 points, will succeed present team captain Katherine Fulton. Fulton yesterday called Curry "the most consistent and strongest player on the team."

Curry, a psychology concentrator, led the team with 150 rebounds and 74 assists this year, averaging almost eight rebounds and four assists per outing.

Coach Carole Kleinfelder yesterday said Curry is "more a leader by example than Captain Fulton, who was more vocal. Caryn's going to be more of a court leader--a very good captain who has the respect of her teammates, which is a good base to start from," she added.

Curry called the 13-10 season "a tough year," adding that she saw her role as captain as one of "giving leadership and cohesion to the team."

Adjustment

"This was a good learning year for us, an adjustment in terms of being in a new division and having new players," she said yesterday, adding that she expects the team to improve next year.

Although she is unsure of what next year's team will look like, she said, "We have only one person graduating this year, so that's good."

Also last week, the Ivy League coaches elected Curry and sophomore forward Wendy Carle, the team's leading scorer this season, to the all-Ivy second team.