Spiritual Imperialism

News Shorts

Calling for an end to the "intellectual and spiritual imperialism" of the Western male in religious society. Krister Stendahl, dean of the Divinity School, spoke last night at the Cambridge Forum on the state of religion in the year 2000.

Stendahl predicted an increased role for women and the Third World in religion.

Other speakers at the forum, held at the First Parish church on Church Street, emphasized the future role of blacks and women in religion, and expressed hope that these minorities will take a greater part in the shaping of a new religious consciousness.

"Religion must face sexual apartheid," said Patricia B. Kepler, director of Ministerial Responsibilities at the Divinity School.

Kepler predicted the spread of feminist consciousness across denominational lines.

Emphasizing the different experiences of the black community, Preston N. Williams, Houghton Professor of Theology and Social Change, said black religion will continue to be rooted in the history of slavery and the working people despite the rise of the black middle class.

Williams predicted fewer adverserial relations between blacks and whites and increased ties between the American black community and Africa in the year 2000.