An Open Letter on the Core

The following letter was written by Judith Freed '81 and Rose D. Boylan '81, representing the Ad Hoc Committee on the Core.

Over 2400 students have signed a petition calling on the Faculty to delay a final vote on the Core and to open the decision-making process to students. They must be heard.

A delay in the vote is essential if there is to be reasonable discussion of alternatives. For several years committees have been working on a Core proposal and proponents of such a proposal have been rallying support. It is hardly fair to opposing views to allow them only the time since late February to respond.

Indeed, the many assertions that the Core would sail through have narrowed a discussion of education to a discussion of the Core. The Faculty Council is pro-Core and all CUE recommendations must pass through them. Members of CUE believe the Core is a good idea, but why should those who think otherwise believe this group can do more than offer weak amendments? Many students, sensing how little they could do, simply didn't care.

Harvard seems to have been doing something right all these years. We must consider educational change carefully to insure that it is helpful change--helpful to the students. Students must participate in educational change made in their name. They are one source of expertise on education; faculty are another. Each must recognize the contribution the other can make. The consumers' point of view (we want there to be a certain type of course...) is a useful counterpoint to the producers' (...then it must be required, otherwise it can't be developed).

The time to consider alternatives is now, not after one generation of students has gone through here. We support all efforts to involve students and faculty, dissenting and otherwise, in the decision making process. We consider the efforts made so far unsatisfactory.