Judges Overrule Crimson Nine, 4-2

Loss Is Fourth Straight

The Harvard baseball team suffered its fourth straight loss of the season yesterday, losing to Brandeis in Waltham, 4-2.

Three runs by the Judges in the first off starter and loser Timothy Clifford were virtually all the runs that Brandeis needed for the victory. The Judges got their other run in the bottom of the seventh, when they tapped reliever Steve Baloff for three of their eight hits in the ballgame.

Leading the Brandeis offense were outfielder Jim DiCarlo, who scored both the first and last runs, and catcher Mike Finnegan, who popped a single and a double in four at bats and registered three runs batted in.

The Crimson, who managed but four hits all day off Brandeis hurlers Bob Birrell and Scot Almeida, go its two runs in the top of the fifth inning. Designated hitter Bob Kelley walked with the bases loaded to score Rick Pearce, and Mike Stenhouse scored catcher Steve Joyce with a sacrifice fly for the second tally.

On the mound Birrell went 7 2/3 innings before giving way to Almeida who notched the save. The starter struck out eight, walked five, and did not allow an extra-base hit during his stint. Almeida yielded on hit in a little over an inning, that being a ninth-inning double to Harvard's Peter Bannish.

Harvard is now 14-6 on the season and will have the next two days off before it hosts Navy at Soldiers Field on Friday afternoon.   123  456  789  R  H  E HARVARD  000  020  000  2  4  0 Brandeis  300  000  100  4  8  2

Batteries: H-Clifford, Baloff(6) and Joyce.

B-Birrell, Almeida (8) and Finnegan.

B-Birrell, Almeida (8) and Finnegan.