Faught Destroys UNH Laxmen, 13-7

Ties Team Mark With Nine Goals

By Daniel Gil

Mike Faught was just doing his job. And when yesterday's work was done, the junior laxman had scored a record-tying nine goals and an assist on the way to a 13-7 Harvard win at UNH.

The nine-goal deluge in one game has been done only twice before in Harvard lacrosse annals, by Thomas Edmunds, 43 years ago to the day, and by Dexter Lewis in 1955.

"He had an awesome day," goalie Kenny First, who contributed 15 saves to the effort, said last night. "But, it wasn't like Mike was taking the ball and whaling on the goalie."

The offense was passing well--every goal was assisted--and Faught was left open by the sliding Wildcat defense. He's the scorer in the Crimson offense and UNH gave him room to work. "When we're done with what we're supposed to do, I'm one-on-one on the goalie," Faught said after the game.

UNH netminder Linus Sheehan prevented Faught and Harvard from running away with the game, however, picking up 16 saves as the Crimson peppered the crease with 42 shots. Attackmen Bill Forbush (two goals, two assists). Jim Ossyra (one goal, one assist), and Tarry Trusty rounded out the Harvard scoring. Pete Predun was blanked but chipped in three assists.

Not A Party

The game was a rough seesaw affair, with Harvard scoring in spurts and UNH scrambling back. It was 7-4, Harvard, at the half.

Faught, of course, supplied the day's spectacular play with a behind-the-bak shot from the right of the crease.

"I was off the pipe and I thought I'd give it a try and it went it," Faught said later. He tried another time but hit the goal.

Twelfth-ranked Harvard is now looking to Saturday's home game with 13th-ranked Princeton. The team has been sluggish lately but players attribute this largely to travelling--eight of the first nine games have been away. There should be no problem getting ready for the Tigers, squad members say.

Faught said, "They trashed us last year. I just hope people don't forget it this year."

The laxmen now stand at 6-3.