On Morality

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I must comment on Susan Esser's letter to the editors (April 20) in which she states that "Harvard must place the academic goals of the University above all other considerations"' on the grounds that "partisan agitation on the part of undergraduates is secondary to the achievement of a deeper understanding of ethics, science and esthetics." Furthermore Ms. Esser writes that "by teaching students how such goals [morality, truth and beauty] are more more important that profit and power, Harvard guarantees that its students will never repeat the criminal greed of U.S. corporations now in South Africa."

Ms. Esser has failed to see the connection between the University's actions and its ability and moral right to teach its students the values of morality and truth. Is it not hypocritical for Harvard to teach us such values while at the same time it violates them by their involvement in South Africa? How can an immoral institution teach morality? How can it teach the value of truth?

Harvard students are not trying to tell Harvard how to manage its endowment. Rather, we are simply demanding that the University practice what it preaches. Far from hurting its ability to pursue its academic goals, Harvard's divestiture of its South African holdings will enhance its academic reputation and its ability to teach its students. Gilbert Fleitas '79