Trackwomen Outdistance Rhode Island

The Harvard women's track team bounced back from last week's tough loss to the University of New Hampshire to defeat the University of Rhode Island (URI), 69-58, Saturday in Providence.

The outcome rested on the last event, the mile relay, but the Crimson four of Posie Bryan, Mary Howard, Rian Smith and Sarah Linsley easily outran their URI counterparts to wrap up the win.

Sue Harper set a new Harvard record in the high jump as she soared 4-ft., 11 in. Harper also won the 100-meter hurdles and took a second in the long jump to grab top-scoring honors for the Crimson.

Wendy Carle, one of the trackwomen's most consistent performers this season, had another good day, winning the javelin and snagging seconds in both the discus and the 400-meter hurdles.

Smith rejoined the team after six weeks on the sidelines with a badly-sprained ankle to outdistance the field in her 400-meter intermediate hurdle debut.

The Crimson runners racked up a solid string of firsts in the distance events, as Bryan won the 800-meter race, co-captain Linsley outran the field in the 1500-meter run, and cross-country stalwart Kat Taylor copped the 3000-meter event.

Taylor also added an important second in the 1500, and Ellen Hart, in her first competition since she shattered her elbow last winter, turned in a second in the 3000.

The trackwomen, now 2-1, host Fitchburg State Saturday.