GSE Begins Africa Forum

By Elizabeth E. Ryan

The Graduate School of Education will present an "educational forum" on Tuesday concerning Harvard investments in South Africa, in response to a demand by the faculty of that school to learn more about the issues involved, Paul N. Ylvisaker, dean of the Graduate School of Education, said yesterday.

Ylvisaker said the program will be the first in a series of presentations and discussions designed to present all points of view, and added that the meetings will be open to all interested members of the Harvard community. The first meeting will be in Longfellow 100 at 9:30 a.m. on May 30.

Lascelles F. Anderson, associate professor of Education, will preside over the meeting, which will also include presentations by Henry B. Reiling, professor of Business and chairman of the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR), Stephen C. Tracy, a graduate student in Education who is also an ACSR member, and Agere Mbere, also a graduate student in Education.

An hour and a half of questions from the audience and informal discussion will follow the presentations, Anderson said yesterday.

"We will each spend about 20 minutes explaining some major concepts behind all the recent interest," Reiling said yesterday. "I will be identifying the main features of the ACSR report to the Harvard Corporation--rather than having a lot of busy people read the document, I'll be summarizing where the ACSR came out and why," he added.