New Magazine

By Alan Cooperman

Students at the Medical School this week will publish the first issue of a new semi-annual art and literary review, "Byways," which aims to "keep the door open for the creative interests which students sometimes drop when they enter the high pressure of medical school," Stephen A. Hoffman, a first-year medical student and editor of the review, said last week.

The first issue of the magazine will contain 50 pages of poetry, short stories, photography, art, and humor by students, faculty, and staff at the Medical and Dental Schools, and the School of Public Health.

The Medical School Student-Faculty Committee has voted to fund "Byways" so that it can be distributed free of charge to the Med School community. The committee this week granted the review $3700 for its fall and spring issues next year.

Hoffman said the first issue of the review will not contain any advertisements or scholarly articles. "We want it to be candid and informal," he said.

T. Bryan Mauldin, an administrative assistant in the office for teaching resources who has had publishing experience and has aided the editorial board of "Byways," said yesterday "the students have worked very hard on it, especially considering their rigorous academic schedules. It is a publication of astonishingly high quality."