Botswana President To Receive Degree

By Alexandra D. Korry

Secrets Khama, president of Botswana, will recieve an honorary degree at the Commencement exercises tomorrow, an official in the Botswana Embassy said yesterday.

Khama, who has been president of his country since becoming independent 12 years ago, arrived in Boston yesterday and will remain here until the end of the week, Ernest Mpofu, first secretary of the Botswana Embassy said.

Surprise, Suprise

Harvard does not announce its honorary degree recipients until the ceremony, and officials yesterday refused to discuss Khama's arrival.

However, the Secret Service will guard Khama during his stay here, Maj. Thomas C. Smith, a special agent in charge of the Secret Service in Boston said yesterday.

The service is only responsible for the security of government officials and dignitaries so it will not take any special measures to safeguard Commencement speaker and honorary degree recipient Alexandr I. Solzhenitsyn, a private citizen. Smith said.

Botswana

Khama is president of a landlocked democratic country of 720,000 inhabitants bordered by South Africa, Angola, Zambia and Rhodesia. The country has voted in the United Nations to impose economic sanctions against South Africa. Despite its proximity to South Africa, the government has successfully maintained Botswana's independence, unlike other bordering states in the region.

Princeton University awarded Khama an honorary degree two years ago because "He's a great man. He is a man of real integrity--he has a vision and he works tirelessly to mold those people into a single nation under difficult circumstances," Thomas Wright, member of the Princeton University Council, which selects the degree recipients, said yesterday.