McDermott, Former Grid Star, Dies in Fire at Brighton Home

Robert M. McDermott '77, a star tight end on Harvard's football team from 1974 to 1976, died early Wednesday morning in a fire that destroyed his Brighton apartment.

The fire broke out at about 3:40 a.m. Wednesday in McDermott's third-floor apartment, and firemen found the body after controlling the fire some time later. Three of McDermott's roommates--Thomas Joyce '77, Gary Gillis '77 and John O'Connor--escaped unharmed.

A three-year football starter, McDermott won the Golden Helmet Award as New England's top college player in 1975, his junior year. During that season, McDermott caught three touchdown passes to lead Harvard over Dartmouth, and also caught a fourthdown pass against Yale to set up the field goal that gave Harvard the Ivy League championship.

In the Harvard record book, McDermott's name stands third on the all-time receptions list, with 50 catches for 803 yards and 11 touchdowns.

"What can you say about the man? He just typified everything a coach dreams about in an athlete," Albert P. Bruno, assistant football coach, said yesterday.

"During the course of a week's practice, he'd practice and play in pain where some guys would take off three or four days," Bruno added. "It's a damn shame. We'll miss him."

Taught History

A 1972 graduate of Quincy High School and a 1973 graduate of Deerfield Academy. McDermott taught history at Deerfield during the past school year.

Relatives and friends are invited to attend the funderal from the Keohane Funeral Home in Wollast on, tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. A funeral mass will be offered tomorrow at 10 a.m. at St. Boniface Church in Quincy.

Donations may be made to the Robert M. McDermott Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o Mr. Ruuska, Quincy Savings Bank, 1400 Hancock St., Quincy, Mass.