Renovations to Union Will Include Arts Center

The Freshman Dean's Office has begun a two-phase renovation of the Freshman Union to expand seating room and provide freshmen with a new arts facility, W.C. Burris Young '55, associate dean of freshmen, said yesterday.

The first phase, which will be completed sometime in November, involves renovation of the second floor into an activities center for freshmen, Evangeline Morphos, senior tutor for the North Yard and director of the one-year-old Freshmen Arts program, said yesterday.

No More "Wizard"

The pinball room will become a "flexible performance space" fitted with a stage area, theater lighting, seating for productions, and mirrors, Morphos said.

"Essentially, the performance area will function as a forum for students putting on productions on an informal or a formal basis," she added.

The music room will become an arts studio, Young said. Freshmen will be able to sign up for space for a two or more month period to work on their art projects, Morphos said.

Product Improvement

The T.V. room will be converted into a concert room with pianos, and rooms for the headquarters for. The Promethian, the freshman literary magazine, and other freshman organizations, Morphos said.

The second phase of the renovation, which will not begin until next year, involves the expansion of the main floor of the Union in order to accommodate more seating, Morphos said.