...While Striders Hope for a Comeback Year

By John Donley

Stanford '37 Bill McCurdy, a delightful leprechaun who has served as cross country coach here for as long as anyone can remember, was talking about the Crimson's chances in its opening three races against the Eastern powerhouse trio of Northeastern, UMass and Provicence.

"There are those pessivists," McCurdy speculated, "who say we'll be lucky to get out of it with three losses."

Thanks be to heaven that McCurdy is an optimist, and so there is some hope on this earth for the '78 version of the Harvard cross country men.

And in case any spiritual fervor may be lacking, McCurdy has had an outfit of nine runners training religiously at the Grottonwood (Mass.) Baptist Camp since September 1.

"Yeah," McCurdy said recently, "we moved in on the first and we've been tearing the place apart. We've been reliving religious experiences."

In reality, there's nothing ecclesiastical at all about the Harvard cross country program, except for the exhausting pre-season training regimen, which is enough to drive even the stoutest soul to desperate prayer.

The upshot of the 14-day workout period-- which can best be described as reminiscent of medieval torture tactics--is that Harvard may come up with an outstanding squad, possibly one to rival the IC4A champions team of two years past.

"The camp two years ago certainly had no more to offer in enthusiasm and optimism than this tear's group," McCurdy commented, so if the personnel come through, this could be a banner year.

But the personnel must come through, and that means no ifs, ands or buts. Leading the list of returning bodies is Harvard's 67th captain, bearded senior Mark Meyer, a four-year runner who burst onto the scene in a big way last fall.

As for the rest of the striders, McCurdy has for the time being dubbed them as "Meyer's No Names," but they fit that description about as well as the 1973 Miami Dolphin defense did.

A pair of one-time freshman phemons--junior Reed Eichner and senior Peter Fitzsimmons--will have to regain their top form and then some if Harvard is to stand out among Eastern cross country squads this fall.

Fitzsimmons, from Connecticut, came on three years ago to ignite a sputtering program, but he has spent the better part of two years battling an assortment of leg infuries, the most serious being tendonitis of the knee. A very gutsy try at steeplechase running last spring has everyone hoping that Fitzy can put it all together once more.

Eichner, from Kansas (remember Jim Ryun?), likewise shone as a Yardling, providing the extra strength needed to win the IC4A crown that year. Last fall, Eichner showed up at camp out of peak condition and failed to place among the top finishers until the end of racing season.

Reports from Grottonwood have it that Fitzsimmons is in the best shope he's been in since freshman year, and that Eichner is having his best camp yet.

"I think both of 'em can make it," McCurdy proffered. "The thing you have to remember about them is that they're good. Reed's a proud kid, and I think he's sick and tired of losing to people he knows he can have in his hip pocket."

Everyone will be in the Crimson's hip pocket if some of the other leading contenders at camp come through--seniors Rock Moulton and John Chafee, and well-respected milers Thad McNulty (a junior) and John Murphy (a soph).

The key to success should be the folks who couldn't make camp, though. Senior Ed Sheehan, last year's numero uno, burned himself out this summer training and road-racing, and has missed the Grottonwood training camp. Sophomores Bob Bolen and Noel Scidmore, along with senior Guy McRoskey, have also passed up camp due to a variety of injuries.

So with both problems and promise galore, the '78 version of the Harvard harriers prepare for their September 23 opener against Northeastern and the tough meet with Providence and UMass. It will be a baptism under fire for McCurdy's men, but the coach remains ever the optimist.

McCurdy was talking again about the opening races: "The guys are loose, they've been working hard, and Christ, nothing could have been worse than last season (2-7 finish). They think we can make a run at'em."

Christ, they just might.