New Stickers Will Identify Harvard Athletes

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) students, like undergraduates, will have a new sticker on their bursar's cards this year as part of a new athletic department effort to more easily and accurately identify people using the University's athletic facilities.

The "tomato red" sticker, which should have a large letter "C" on it for GSAS students, is the ticket for admission to all the University's athletic areas.

Kit Morris, newly appointed assistant to the athletic director, said the system will help with "accounting and access control" for the athletic facilities.

Easy I.D.

"Previously, monitors couldn't tell the difference between a Law School bursar's card and an undergrad unless they read the fine print. With the new stickers, though, identification will be easier," Morris said yesterday.

Andronike E. Janus, assistant director of athletics, said yesterday the new system is part of the "negotiating process going on right now to determine how much different faculties around the University pay for use of the athletic facilities."

Under the current financing system, faculties other than the Faculty of Arts and Sciences pay a fee based on usage to allow their students the use of the University's athletic plant. FAS pays the balance of the operating costs, which Janus estimated at about 62 per cent of the total.

The new sticker system was devised by the athletic department to improve the accuracy of the records, Janus said.