Primary Races

News Shorts

With primary elections scheduled for Tuesday, candidates in the Massachusetts senatorial primary have stepped up their campaigns in face of reports of voter apathy.

Recent polls report that 28 to 38 per cent of Democratic voters are undecided about the five-candidate Senate race. The large number of undecided voters is apparently due to extreme voter apathy and alienation, Dennis Kanin '68, manager of Rep. Paul Tsongas' (D.-Mass.) campaign said yesterday. "It's hard to tell what will happen," Lou Dinatale, Campaign manager for State Secretary Paul Guzzi '64, said yesterday.

Guzzi and Tsongas were traveling through the state yesterday hitting shopping centers and the suburbs. Kathleen Sullivan Alioto stepped up her media campaign with an advertisement featuring an endorsement from Frank Sinatra. State Representative Elaine Noble and Conservative Caucus candidate Howard Phillips '62, both suffering from limited resources, made use of free air time and various public debate forums.

In the Republican race, Sen. Edward Brooke toured the state shaking hands and making speeches. Republican challenger Avi Nelson worked the traditional handshaking circuit at shopping centers and subway stops for the first time in his campaign.

Despite the candidate's efforts, voter turnout is predicted to be low. "There doesn't seem to be as much interest in political races as in past years," Kanin said.