Sox Stop Tiger Threat for 8-6 Win

Trim N.Y. Lead to 1 1/2 Games

By Mark D. Director

George Scott to Carlton Fisk--not your most likely double play combination--turned the trick when it counted most.

It was that first base to home plate hook-up that ended a ninth inning Tiger threat and protected an 8-6 Red Sox lead, handing the struggling Boston team a nerve-racking win over Detroit last night.

With Milwaukee Brewer ace Mike Caldwell winning his 20th game of the season, tossing a four-hit 2-0 shut-out of the Yankees in Milwaukee, the Sox desperately needed a win over the Tigers in Detroit to move within 1 1/2 games of the league-leading New Yorkers.

And the Boomer's glove--not his often erratic bat--gave Boston that win. With runners at second and third, one out, and Rusty Staub at the plate, the Sox had their fourth pitcher of the night, lefty Andy Hassler, attempting to put away the win.

Scott short-hopped a Staub grounder, stepped on the bag, and threw to Fisk, who wheeled to nip speedy Aurelio Rodriguez for the final out of the game.

The play ended a wild evening in Tiger Stadium which began with more heroics from ageless Carl Yastrzemski. The captain had a stellar night Tuesday driving in five of the Sox's eight runs, three coming off a first-inning homer.

But the 3-0 opening lead was just a fleeting bit of glory as the Tigers came back to blast starter Luis Tiant--Jason Thompson smashing a grand slam before Tiant had retired a batter. That shot sent Tiant to the showers; and reliever Bill Campbell took over until the ninth, when he was bailed out by Dick Drago and then Hassler.

The Sox got their non-Yastrzemski runs on a two-run single from Jim Rice in the fourth--his 200th hit--and a sacrifice fly from Carlton Fisk in the third.

Yastrzemski blasted a two-run double off starter and loser Jack Norris, 3-5, in the fourth.