Deans Tell Alumni Fundraisers Harvard Needs More Money

By Maxwell Gould

Dean Rosovsky and L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of admissions, stressed the importance of increased financial assistance from alumni to the maintenance of Harvard's excellence in addresses Saturday to agents of the Harvard College Fund (HCF) and the Harvard-Radcliffe Parents Committee.

"The future of our enterprise is in some danger," Rosovsky said in his speech at the Business School, adding that without increased alumni aid Harvard might have to consider applicants' financial situation.

"We are asking for a vote of confidence from alumni," Rosovsky said, adding, "to support us is a positive act of self-interest" which benefits the country.

Rosovsky talked about the Core, saying he felt "like a broken record." He called the Core a "quest for standards" that will provide students with a broad exposure to different areas of study.

Jewett spoke of the "all time nigh" in this year's applicant pool--nearly seven per cent larger than last year's--and the increased diversity of the Class of '82, which includes more members from the West and South and more minority students than in the past.

Insuring strong applicant pools in the future "will take money, resources and innovative ideas such as the Core," Jewett said.

Noting that middle-income families have the most difficulty paying college tuition--since financial aid programs already exist for low-income applicants--Jewett said new programs are needed to draw more middle-income students here.

Samuel C. Butler '51, chairman of the HCF, said that the Fund's goal this year is $6.5 million. Last year it raised $6.3 million.

Butler referred to the capital drive which President Bok outlined on Friday. Though the plans are "far from final," Harvard fundraisers will probably request three year pledges from donors instead of annual givings, Butler said.

Harvard's fundraising efforts will be centralized for the campaign. "We cannot have dual solicitation," Butler said.