Harriers Face Stiff Tests From Friars and UMass

By Laura E. Schanberg

The Harvard cross country team seeks to extend its perfect record this afternoon as it takes on powerful Providence College and UMass in a trimeet at Franklin Park.

The Crimson Harriers have their work cut out for them. Traditionally the class of the Northeast and often a national title contender, Providence is the stiffer of the two opponents. UMass is also a tough squad, though more along the lines of Northeastern, the Herd's first victim of the season.

Last year in a similar meet, both UMass and Providence placed all seven of their runners ahead of the Crimson's top finisher. "They used to be totally out of out league," senior Ed Sheehan said

It should be a much tighter contest this year. The Friars still have a wealth of talent to draw upon, although they will be missing the services of two All-Americans who competed in the last meeting. Irish-man John Treacy graduated, while clansman Gerry Deegan returned to his homeland.

The Minutemen are an unknown quantity. Graduation claimed many of their scorers, and it is not clear whether the ranks have been adequately filled.

With the whole team healthy and running well, the Harvard thinclads have a shot at capturing the trimeet. Potential scorers Thad McNulty and Rocky Moulton did not compete in the season opener last Saturday. Add their contributions and the experience and confidence the entire team gained running the lengthened (6.2 miles instead of 5 miles) course for the first time and the Herds' performance could be even more impressive than in their last outing.

Don't Count Your Chickens...

"If we put it all together, we could take them," Mark Meyer said. "We're not counting on winning," Sheehan said, "but we're certainly not counting ourselves out of it."

The junior varsity will also make an appearance this afternoon, running before the varsity takes the field.