University Studies Progress In Aiding Disabled Students

By Kathleen E. Mcdonough

The University has successfully complied with federal regulations preventing discrimination against handicapped people, according to a recently completed self-evaluation.

The Working Group on the University's Program for the Handicapped, composed of handicapped students, representatives from each of the faculties at Harvard, and other administrators, met yesterday to review the first draft of the study on compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Coveralls

Section 504, which applies to all institutions receiving federal funds, covers both academic services such as admissions and financial aid, and non-academic services such as housing and transportation.

In the last two years the University has installed curb and building ramps, made elevator modifications and sidewalk repairs, and supplied such services as readers for the blind.

Harvard has also purchased a van capable of carrying two people in wheelchairs.

The projected cost for all the renovations is about $1.5 million, Donald A. Warner, the project planner in charge of most of the renovations made over the last two years, said yesterday.

Warner stressed the need for continued support for projects scheduled to be completed before the June 1980 deadline for complying with section 504.

The committee also examined the question of recruiting of disabled students, and suggested that alumni admissions interviewers be notified of the architectural changes being made, so as not to discourage disabled students from applying.