Radcliffe Begins 'Century Drive'

By Justina K. Carlson

With centennial celebrations underway, Radcliffe is officially launching the Century Fund, a major five-year effort to raise financial resources and increase alumnae and corporation donations.

The fund's goals are to raise $10 million for endowment and capital improvement, increase grants from corporations and foundations to $3.5 million, and double alumnae donations to an annual level of $1 million by 1983, Hope W. Wigglesworth '48, director of development and alumnae affairs, said Tuesday.

President Horner said yesterday the fund would strengthen Radcliffe and allow "creative and imaginative" ideas for new programs.

Money, Money, Money

The $10 million in new endowment and capital improvement funds would be used to build a recreational athletic facility at the Quad, begin a Center for Continuing Education at the Cronkite Graduate Center, and renovate the Agassiz House theatre, in addition to other improvements.

Endowments for existing Radcliffe organizations and new programs in dance and theatre would be increased.

The higher level of alumnae giving would enable Radcliffe to maintain its obligation under the Joint Policy Agreement for 1977 with Harvard to provide $1.4 million annually by 1985 for its share of undergraduate financial aid.

Research and continuing education projects would be funded by new foundation and corporation grants.

Hitting 'Em Up

Radcliffe plans to intensify regional campaigning to raise the level of alumnae giving, and to step up requests to foundations and corporations.

The Development Office has not resolved its fundraising plans for graduates since 1976, Wigglesworth said. Since Harvard and Radcliffe jointly raise money from members of classes after 1976, the development office "wishes to avoid any conflict or competition" with Harvard efforts, she said.

The fund effort was not conceived as part of the centennial, but Radcliffe's hundredth anniversary adds "interest and momentum" to the drive, she said.

The fund was planned over the past several years as part of a process defining the "needs and aspirations" of the college, Wigglesworth said, and is a "comprehensive development and growth plan" rather than one-shot campaign.

"We're interested in taking the foundations of Radcliffe and shoring them up," she said.