Former Massport Attorney Named as King's Counsel

Gov. Edward J. King Monday appointed Neil L. Lynch '52, former counsel to the Massachusetts Port Authority and a graduate of Harvard Law School, as his chief counsel.

Lynch and King worked together for nearly 11 years while King was director of Massport. "There was never a dull moment in a day when I worked with King," Lynch said yesterday.

Lynch said he sees his job as no different from any he has held since leaving law school, except that he now has only one client, the governor.

"I'll have to advise King on legal matters, though I don't know what these might be from day to day. Basically, I have to keep the governor from getting into inextricable legal problems," Lynch said.

Lynch said he did not necessarily agree or disagree with the stands King took on abortion and capital punishment during his campaign for governor.

King's power to fight abortion and institute capital punishment is limited, Lynch said, noting that the governor can simply call for capital punishment or refuse to veto bills that come before him which limit public funding of abortions. King can also use his high position to influence other legislators in favor of his viewpoints, Lynch added.

Advice and Dissent

"But as King's lawyer, I have to keep my personal viewpoints apart," Lynch said. "I'll only advise him to abandon positions that are legally untenable, and if a position he holds is legally sound, I won't disagree with it unless it's during a free exchange of personal opinions," he added.

Lynch believes that many people will be "pleasantly surprised" by King. He said the governor is a "compassionate man who isn't about to cut off essential services, just make sure that there aren't some people out there who are getting more than their share."

The new chief counsel has taught at the New England School of Law for eight years, including the two years since he left Massport in 1976.

Lynch said he remembers Harvard as a place where "someone with little money could easily get aid to get an excellent education."