Women Cagers Win Big, 74-28

Five in Double Figures

The women cagers took the scenic route to Boston's South Shore yesterday and came away with a 74-28 walloping of Eastern Nazarene College.

The Crimson thoroughly outclassed their shorter opponents after sluggish early going. The women started off cold but Eastern Nazarene displayed equally poor shooting from the field. Ten minutes into the first half the score stood at only 6-4, with Harvard trailing.

Doubles

Five of the Crimson hoopsters finished in double figures in the romp. Wendy Carle was the leading scorer with 14 points while Dorris Woolery notched 13.

Harvard began to break open the defensive struggle when its fast break began to click. By the-end of the first half, the cagers had taken a commanding 24-8 lead.

An encouraging performance in the victory was freshman Gilian Raney's 12-point output as she ham-and-egged with Carle on the Crimson's deadly fast break.

Honest

Harvard never really had to play full throttle in the game against the hapless Eastern Nazarene five as coach Carole Kleinfelder substituted freely. Captain Caryn Curry, who is prone to understatement, said afterwards, "It's hard to play all out in a game like this. We just played well enough to beat them."

One sour note in the win was the reinjury of standout freshman center Elaine Holpuch. Holpuch sprained her ankle last Saturday against Manhattanville and aggravated the injury in the third quarter.

Before breaking for exam period, the women will take one more scenic sojourn. On Friday the team will face Keene College and then spend the night in Williamstown before tipping off against Williams the next day.