Women's Swim Team Flounders in Providence Despite Christmas Training Session in Florida

The Harvard varsity women's swim team was swamped, 93-38, by a powerful Brown team yesterday in Providence. With this latest defeat, the Crimson record drops to a dismal 1-4.

The aquawomen, who had just returned from a training session in Venice, Fla., over the Christmas break, clocked some of their best times of the year but still lacked the strength and depth necessary to repeat their 73-40 victory over Brown last season.

Some bright spots of the meet included a first-place finish by co-captain Maura Costin in the 100-yd. freestyle (57.3) and second in the 100-yd. individual medley (1:05.77). Costin recorded her best times of the year in both these events.

Freshman Adele Joel's victory in the 50-yd. breaststroke (32.82) set a team record. Joel also finished second in the 100-yd. breaststroke with a time of 1:11.26.

Freshman diving sensation Pam Stone continued her winning ways with decisive victories off both the 1-meter and 3-meter boards, outscoring her nearest challenger by 32.5 and 36 points respectively.

Although the Crimson's performance in Providence left much to be desired, Harvard coach Stephanie Walsh was nevertheless pleased with the season's best showing by several members of the team.

Those who participated in the training trip found it "very worthwhile not only for the hard work, but for the benefits the team gained in unity and spirit," Walsh said.

Liz Adam's third in the 500-yd freestyle (5:36.53) and Julie McAree's third in the 100-yd. butterfly (1:05.11) were both personal best times.

Walsh attributed much of Brown's victory to "powerhouse" Pam Heggie. Heggie, winner in the 500-yd. freestyle, 200-yd. freestyle, 100-yd. breaststroke and a member of the winning relay team, dominated the breaststroke and freestyle events.

The bright spots on the Harvard team hope to shine through Saturday, January 13 when the aquawomen face Dartmouth in Blodgett Pool at noon.