Land to Found Science Center In Cambridge

Edwin H. Land '30, founder of the Polaroid Corporation and a major contributor to Harvard's funds for education in the sciences, Wednesday said he plans to establish a "center for scientific endeavor" in Cambridge.

Land said he will raise approximately $16 million to finance the new facility by ordering The Rowland Foundation, a charitable organization he heads, to sell 300,000 shares of Polaroid Corporation stock.

Donald Dery, a spokesman for Polaroid, said Land considers the present time "too premature" to discuss any plans for the science facility's location or eventual use.

Dr. Frankenstein

Land said Wednesday that after his retirement from Polaroid in several years he hopes to conduct "experiments in pure science and in other new fields that may interest me" in his planned scientific center.

"As far as I know, the center will have no institutional connection to Harvard, though I'm sure individuals in our academic community may in some way take part in it," Parker Coddington, director of government relations, said yesterday.

Land developed the first modern polarizers of light, which led to his subsequent invention of the Polaroid photographic process.