Sports Cube First Annual Basketball Mid-Year

Quizmaster-Elgin Scheft

Thought you wouldn't have to see me until the leaves turn green, huh? Well, you're out of luck, as I have been summoned from the land of number 2 pencils a semester early this year to make the road to clinical depression a little swifter for you all.

What? Do I hear a voice from the Union condiment table saying "This quiz will be easy, just like that Independent baseball quiz last week."?

Let me address that statement in two parts. First, mastering that Independent "trivia" quiz was about as difficult as beating Loyal Park in the high hurdles. Secondly, you're only a freshman, and unless your last name is Scheper, you probably think that Trivia is something that pharmacists aren't allowed to sell over the counter.

Seriously, I've received some criticism for the relative impossibility of the questions on my last few quizzes. All I can say is thank you, life isn't one big Hank Aaron question. If you want your ego massaged this is not the place. Try a trade school or a Polish wedding for that sort of thing.

At any rate, this semester's topic is pro and college basketball trivia, dating form the mid-60's to the present. There will be 50 possible answers; 10-20 correct and your friends can't call you a pansy anymore. Less than ten correct and you'll probably start counting typos of justifying the creative mind. Any more than 25 correct and I feel sorry for you when you get out of here.

See you in the showers, fungi!

1. When the Lakers met the Knicks in the finals of the 1970 NBA Championship, what Los Angeles rookie started at guard for the injured Johnny Egan?

2. Give me the FULL deal for Wilt Chamberlain, which transpired in the summer of 1967 and sent The Dipper to Los Angeles.

3. When coach Bob Cousy decided to become player-coach Bob Cousy for the Cincinnati Royals in 1971, who did the Celtics get as compensation?

4. Oh, and what number did the Houdini of the Hardwood wear with Cincy?

5. What slightly unusual pre-game ritual did Lew Alcindor go through before every game of his rookie season?

6-7. The year is 1970 and three players in the NBA are wearing headbands during games. One of them is Chamberlain. How about the other two?

8. Who was Henry Finkel's backup on the 1969-70 Celtics?

Give the Muslim names for the following NBA players:

9. Charlie Scott

10. Don Smith

11. Wally Jones

12. Walt Hazzard

Give the college of these past and present NBA players:

13. Robert Parrish

14. Otto Moore

15. Billy Turner

16. Norm Van Lier

17. Chet Walker

18. Bob Portman

19. And while we're still at the college level, take credit for two correct answers if you get this one. Who started as a junior at guard for the NCAA champions UCLA in 1971, but did not start the following season? (Hint: The other members of the starting five were seniors Steven Patterson, Sidney Wicks, and Curtis Rowe, and sophomore guard Henry Bibby.)

20-24. Give me all five members of the starting line-up for the runner-up NBA champion San Francisco Warriors in 1967.

25. Back to college. The 1971 UNC Tarheels finished third in the NCAA tournament when they lost by four points to an unheralded Florida State contingent. North Carolina started Bob McAdoo at center, Dennis Wycick and Bobby Jones at the forwards, and George Karl and WHO at the guards? (Hint: He played one year in the ABA, quite possibly the least talented backcourter ever to make the pros.)

26. And while we're at it, how about that Florida State team. They came out onto the floor with Lawrence McCray at center, Reggie Royals and Rowland Garrett at forwards, and Ron King and WHO at the guards?

27. He started at guard with Oscar Robertson on the Royals teams of the 60's, one year leading the NBA in assists. Name him.

Give me as many uniform numbers as asked for. There will be no numbers that repeat for a single player.

28. Earl Monroe (Three, one with the Bullets, two with the Knicks)

29. Jerry Lucas (Three--one with the Royals, Warriors and Knicks)

30. Pete Maravich at LSU

31. Spencer Haywood in the 1968 Olympics

32. Rick Barry this year (two answers)

33. What former UCLA unknown increased his anonymity by serving as fifth forward for the 1970 Lakers?

34. What health and beauty aid product has Kareem Abdul-Jabbar endorsed on television?

35. For you locals, who was Johnny Most's sidekick during his formative years on WBZ?

36. How many years did Connie Hawkins go to Iowa for?

37. Who was the first player selected in the 1972 college draft? (Hint: He was a center from Loyola of Chicago who played one year.)

38. What former NBA journeyman was the brother of a famous "pop" singer?

39. What All-Ivy player for Harvard in the early seventies had the same name as a famous "pop" singer?

40. What do Dana Lewis, Al Henry, and Shaler Hallimon have in common?

41. Can you give me the year in which the Golbetrotters lost their last game? No? Okay, okay, give me the name of the little bald guy who used to sink the long set shots against them.

42. College again. UCLA beat Memphis State for the 1973 NCAA title. You'll have to get at least six of the ten starters for credit.

43. What did the San Francisco Warriors uniforms look like from 1966-70?

44. What did the legendary Bill Russell do before every game?

45. What former Creighton University star was selected in the first year of the hardship draft by the Warriors, but never made the team because of a heroin addiction?

46. Who? played alongside Austin, Carr at guard at Notre Dame, but quit the team the year after Austin graduated because he had no one to pass to?

47. What former Cincinnati Royal was one of the finest basketball color men in NBA t.v. history?

48. What former Cincinnati Royal was one of the worst color men in NBA t.v. history? (Hint: Oooooooh weeeeeeeeee!)

49. How many varsity sports did Milwaukee Buck guard Quinn Bucker play ay Indiana during his freshman year? (Hint: Same as the number of classes he attended all year.)

50. What number did referee supreme Mendy Rudolph wear?

The Answers...

1. Dick Garrett. 2. Chamberlain to L.A. for Jerry Chambers, Archie Clark and Darrell Imhoff, plus one million dollars. 3. Bill Dinwiddie. 4. 19. 5. Alcindor used to walk up and down the center court line. 6-7. Lee Winfield, Emmette Bryant. 8. Garfield Smith. 9. Shaheed Abdul-Aleman. 10. Zaid Abdul-Aziz. 11. Wali Jones. 12. Abdul-Ramman. 13. Centenary. 14. Pan American. 15. Akron U. 16. St. Francis of Loretto (Pa.). 17. Bradley. 18. Creighton. 19. Kenney Booker. 20. Jeff Mullins, Ricky Barry, Nate Thurmond, Guy Rodgers and Rudy LaRusso. 25. Steve Previs. 26. Greg Samuels (not Otto Petty). 27. Adrian Smith. 28. 10, 35, 15. 29. 16, 48, 42. 30. 23. 31. 8. 32. 2(home), 4(away). 33. Jay Carty. 34. "Shower-to-shower" powder. 35. Jim Pansulo. 36. One (he got the heave after his freshman year). 37. Larue Martin 38. Stan Love. 39. James-Brown. 40. All were first round draft choices by the Philadelphia 76ers during the early seventies. All were terrible. 41. 1971, Red Klotz. 42. UCLA--Walton, Lee, Curtis, Wilkes, Farmer; Memphis State--Finch, Kenon, Robinson, Buford, Laurie. 43. On the front was a circle with "The City" and the Golden Gate Bridge encircling the player's number. On the back, the number was emblazoned inside of a cable car. 44. Throw up. 45. Cyril Baptiste. 46. Jackie Meehan. 47. Jackie Twyman. 48. The Big O. 49. 3 [football, hoop and track]. 50. 5.