Cambodian Insurgents Advance In Cities Near Phnom Penh

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia--Cambodian insurgents are apparently planning an attack on the nation's capital in the wake of a series of military victories in outlying areas, observers reported yesterday.

About 20,000 insurgents, reportedly led by 100,000 Vietnamese troops, have captured the town of Kratie, 93 miles from the capital, analysts confirmed yesterday. The insurgents also claimed to have captured two provincial capitals in the north, although there was no official confirmation of those reports.

At last report, the insurgents had begun a siege of Kompang Cham, a town along the Mekong River only 45 miles northeast of the Cambodian capital.

Vachon

The Cambodian government blamed the military setbacks on Vietnamese "arch-slaughterers," who they said had planned attacks on several urban areas in the provinces, causing great loss of property and life.

Most political analysts call the latest outbreak of hostilities between Cambodia and Vietnam a sign of growing coolness between the People's Republic of China--which backs the Cambodians--and the Soviet Union, which backs the Vietnamese.

The Cambodian government claimed to have captured 84 Soviet-made tanks in the past week, which they say prove the Soviet and Vietnamese influence in the revolt. The insurgents, on the other hand, claim to have captured or killed scores of Chinese military advisors during their attacks on government-controlled cities.

In New York, Kurt Waldheim, secretary-general of the United Nations. yesterday called on "all concerned to exercise restraint and to refrain from moves that may further escalate the fighting."

The U.N. Security Council has scheduled a series of private consultations to discuss the issue for late tomorrow afternoon. Sources in the U.N. Secretariat have stated they believe the council will hold a formal session next week, at the request of the Cambodian government.