Ford, Tsongas Attack Carter Policies

Criticize Iranian, Chinese Policy

BOSTON--Two prominent American politicans, one an old-timer and one a newcomer, severely criticized President Carter's foreign policies yesterday in separate speeches in the Boston area.

Former President Gerald R. Ford said the Shah of Iran's power might not be in jeopardy today if the Carter administration had stood fast in support of the monarch. Meanwhile, Sen.-elect Paul Tsongas (D-Mass.) attacked the timing of U.S. recognition of China, which he said may result in the defeat of a SALT treaty with the Soviet Union.

Chickening Out

Speaking at the Sheraton Boston Hotel before addressing a retailers' convention. Ford said it was "unconscionable of some people" to hesitate to give Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlevi full support.

"I get a little irritated with people who duck and run when the chips are down, said Ford, indirectly referring to Carter. Ford also said that the Shah, who is considered more friendly to the U.S. that, any of his potential replacements, said the nations should support his regime to keep a steady flow of petroleum imports from the oil-rich Middle East state.

Sen.-elect Tsongas, a member of the President's own party, termed the timing of the recognition of China as "atrocious" on Boston radio state WEEI's show "Bay State Forum." Tsongas said that Carter, alienated a group of senators led by Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.) by breaking a mutual recognition agreement with Taiwan.

Goldwater, he said, "is the kind of person you could appeal to on a reasonably rational basis on SALT, but the likelihood of now getting Goldwater ro support SALT is nil."

Goldwater has filed suit in Federal District Court against Carter, seeking to have the new recognition of the People's Republic of China overturned.