State Department Honors Nye For Planning Nuclear Policies

Joseph S. Nye Jr., professor of Government, last week received the State Department's highest citation, the Distinguished Honor Award; in recognition of his role as principal architect of U.S. nuclear non-proliferation policy.

The award came as a complete surprise, Nye said yesterday. He also received a letter from President Carter expressing deep appreciation for the work he did.

The inscription on the award, which Nye received from Secretary of State Cyrus R. Vance, cites Nye's "outstanding contribution to formulation and implementation" of the nuclear policy and his "international role as its chief spokesman."

As deputy undersecretary of state, Nye transmitted the Carter policy to heads of state and tried to convince them to adopt a more cautious approach toward the proliferation of nuclear power and weapons.

A major concern in policy formulation was the balancing of energy security and military security, Nye said.

Double Trouble

Nye returns to Harvard today from his two-year leave of absence and will teach two courses in international affairs this spring. He will also be a consultant to the state department on nuclear policy.

"It will be good to get back to teaching," Nye said yesterday, though a friend in Washington told him before he left, 'You weren't on leave to Washington, you're on sabbatical to Harvard.'