Brown Plans Harvard Speech; Staff Organizing Area Schools

California Gov. Jerry Brown, an un-nanounced presidential candidate, may speak at Harvard October 10, campaign aides said Friday.

The announcement, made at the organizational meeting of the Students-for Brown Committee, followed the official opening of Brown's New England campaign headquarters.

Cornerstone

"The governor is very interested in students and plans to make them the cornerstone of his New England campaign," Linda Bilmes '80, Brown's campus campaign coordinator, said. Brown staffers are recruiting students to prepare issue papers, organize rallies and begin canvassing for Brown, she added.

Campaign aide Brian McDevitt told reporters at the opening that, despite trailing President Carter and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) in the polls, Brown is optimistic. Brown's low-key operation will gear up in the next few weeks, he said, adding, "Now is the time for coming out and mobilizing the support we believe is here."

Campus Backing

Volunteers will organize support committees on more than 50 college campuses in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, McDevitt said. Boston College and Boston University already have working committees, he added.