Mayor White Meets with 29 Students, Promises Better City School Security

Boston Mayor Kevin H. White yesterday promised to increase security in the city's schools at a meeting with area high school students at City Hall.

About 30 students attended the late afternoon meeting, which focused on racial violence in Boston's public schools.

Agreement

White agreed to hold the meeting after students protested the city's failure to take proper action after the September 28 allegedly racially-motivated shooting of Darryl Williams, a black Jamaica Plain High School football player.

White said he will authorize additional security at sporting events, adding that he thinks the Williams shooting was racially motivated.

Five representatives from each of six area high schools attended the meeting, which many said was disorganized and overcrowded.

Chaos

Students walked in and out of the conference room during the meeting and some shouted at the mayor and each other. "The meeting is total chaos," Mary Smith, a student at Boston English High School, said yesterday.

White told students and adults attending the meeting that spectators and participants in sporting events will be transported to a safe location following games.

The mayor added he will authorize any additional security headmasters request, providing the superintendent and commissioner of schools approve such measures.

Kevin Johnson, a senior at Jeremiah Burke High School, said whites also need protection, adding that many are discouraged from participating in after-school events.

Students suggested a variety of security improvements, including better street lighting, increased police protection and a program of continuous meetings with city officials.

Only students who attended last week's meetings with Deputy Mayor Clarence Jones were invited to yesterday's conference with the mayor.

No students from Jamaica Plain and Charlestown high schools attended White's meeting. Johnson said representatives of the schools should have attended the meeting, adding, "those two schools were the ones involved."

A number of students asked White why James Kelly, who serves on a South Boston industrial park development commission, is on the city's payroll.

Students said Kelly, who opposes forced busing, is a racist. White said Kelly should not be penalized for his stand on busing, adding that he has a right to his own opinions.

A number of students said they left the meeting early because they couldn't speak to the mayor. "The meeting is unorganized and I can't get a word in," Francessa Connolly, a junior at Boston English High School said as she walked out of city hall.

"We did accomplish something," one student said, adding that the meeting would have gone more smoothly if fewer people had attended.

City officials said after the meeting they would like to invite the students back next week in smaller groups to continue discussions.