Orioles Trample Pirates, 8-4

The Baltimore Orioles, aided by a lengthy rain delay, scored five fourth-inning runs and held on to beat the Pittsburgh Pirates, 8-4, in Game 3 of the World Series at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh last night.

The Pirates led 3-2, when the umpires halted the proceedings after three innings. When play resumed 67 minutes later, the Oriole bats came alive.

Rich Dauer started the rally by doubling, and he moved to third on a Rick Dempsey single. Pirate shortshop Tim Foli misplayed a Scott MacGregor grounder to load the bases, and Kiko Garcia slammed home all three runners with a triple.

Pirate manager Chuck Tanner then removed Buc starter John Candelaria, who had pitched well before the delay, and replaced him with Enrique Romo.

The Birds tallied twice more in the inning, and sported a 7-3 lead after four innings.

Oriole hurler Scott MacGregor went the distance, despite some heavy hitting in the late innings by Pittsburgh.

Oriole skipper Earl Weaver stuck with MacGregor, as he did with Mike Flanagan Wednesday night.

In the 6th, Willie Stargell doubled, and Dave Parker plated him with a single. MacGregor looked shaky, but he retired Dave Parker on a deep fly to left to end the inning.

Meanwhile, the Birds extended their lead as Garcia, who rapped out four hits on the day, knocked in a run with a bloop single that eluded Pittsburgh infielder Phil Garner. Centerfielder Omar Moreno picked up the ball and alertly threw to second trapping Garcia in a rundown.

But the relay hit the Oriole baserunner, and the eighth Bird run crossed the plate as the ball bounded away.

The series resumes today in Pittsburgh, as Jim Bibby takes the mound for the home team to oppose Baltimore's Dennis Martinez. The Orioles lead the series, 2-1.